Cameron Bowman was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia. He attended Simon Fraser University for his undergraduate training, and subsequently, the University of British Columbia where he earned his Medical Degree in 1999. His training continued as a Resident in the Division of Plastic Surgery at U.B.C. His main area of interest was surgery of the breast, and during this time he published an article and produced a DVD about breast reconstruction following mastectomy.
Dr. Bowman completed his surgical residency in 2004 and subsequently became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He then accepted a fellowship position in Belgium under the mentorship of Professor Stan Monstrey where he undertook sub-specialty training in the unique field of sex reassignment surgery. Dr. Bowman co-authored several publications in this relatively new and advancing field and is currently the only fellowship-trained surgeon doing this work in Western Canada.
Continuing his focus in breast surgery, he then traveled to Michigan, U.S.A. to do further work with Dr. Dennis Hammond, a world leader in surgery of the breast. Here, he sharpened his skills in all aspects of breast surgery which included esthetic and reconstructive procedures.
Following his training, Dr. Bowman accepted a clinical appointment within the Division of Plastic Surgery, U.B.C. where he is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor. He is involved in medical student and Resident teaching and remains active as an invited speaker. He continues to work as a reconstructive trauma surgeon and performs breast reconstructive surgery for women who have been afflicted with breast cancer.
In addition, Dr. Bowman is highly focused on his aesthetic practice which encompasses all areas of cosmetic surgery. He did a two year mentorship with Dr. Donald Fitzpatrick in which he continued to enhance his skills in facial and body contouring surgery. Dr. Bowman is a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and is committed to staying up to date by regularly reviewing the latest literature and attending aesthetic conferences.
SUMMARY OF TRAINING
- 4 years of undergraduate training
- 4 years of training as a medical doctor
- 5 years of training in plastic and reconstructive surgery
- 1 year of fellowship (sub-specialty) training in SRS and breast surgery
- 2 year mentorship in cosmetic surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Northwest Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons www.plasticsurgery.ca
- Canadian Society for Aesthetic (Cosmetic) Plastic Surgery www.csaps.ca
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons www.plasticsurgery.org
- American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery www.surgery.org
- BC College of Physicians and Surgeons www.cpsbc.ca
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada rcpsc.medical.org
- Northwest Society of Plastic Surgeons www.nwsps.org